Thursday, January 3, 2008

Book-O-Rama II

A happy and blessed New Year to any and all!

Ours came in with a bang. Two, to be exact: A major computer crash on 12/31 as a result of a brief power outage on 12/30, and a major canine injury that saw us, our dog Greta and the good Dr. Craig Brooks on a New Year's Eve rendezvous at the Taylor Vet Hospital, from whence we got home at 1:00 a.m. and he probably got home at 4:00 a.m. Greta got home at 11:00 a.m.

But that's not what I really want to blog about today. I'm so excited about a book someone ELSE is reading. Sandy Hazenberg has been sharing on her blog, A Day in the Life, from the book An Unstoppable Force, and I encourage you to check it out! It's by Erwin Raphael McManus, an author I mentioned a few posts back. I just love the picture he presents of "church." Hey, any of you pray-ers out there, if you're so inclined, let's read this book with a prayerful heart for NLCC! I hope there's a section about prayer, but no matter. I think prayer can and needs to undergird everything we think, are, say and do, and not just be a "section" of our lives.

I think I'll be going by the bookstore today. I also want to read Messy Christianity. Pastor Dave has been quoting from that and I love it. I understand Miss Terry got the last one from the the FBC (Family Bible Center) so maybe I'll check out Borders for both of them. Plus Mike and I also need a new devotional for the New Year.

I also just got two new books in the mail from Crossings, the Christian book club I belong to: Your Whole Life and Creative Prayer.

I know, I said I was going to be sharing from Prayer, Does It Make Any Difference?, and that's still my plan. I'm just multitasking!

My hope and vision for 2008 is for our church, in all we do, to become an army of doers and pray-ers. An "unstoppable force" for God's Kingdom. How different will our community look by this time next year as a result of the Lord using us to reach out to the world around us?

No comments: