Thursday, February 7, 2008

You're a Star!

I’m always keeping an eye (and ear) out for unique gift ideas, especially since my new resolve a couple of years ago to shop for Christmas all through the year. Then I heard about "the Star Registry." I include the link NOT because I’m hoping anyone will go in for the idea, but just so you'll know I’m not making this up.

Last Christmas with a few family members I still wanted a “wow gift” for, it seemed to have possibilities. Name a real star after someone? Hmmm... How would that work? What bang do I get for my buck if I “name" a star through the Star Registry?

Let me quote (in part) from their FAQ.

Q: Can I name a star?
A: Yes. You can dedicate a star to someone special. We offer a Gift Package
where we select a special star in the sky and record your Star Name and Star
Date. The Gift Package includes a beautiful parchment Certificate, a Sky Chart
with your name and the star's coordinates and an informative booklet on
astronomy. We publish all names in the astronomical compendium Your Place in the
Cosmos©, which is registered in the U.S. Copyright Office.

Q: Am I buying the star?
A: No. We do not own the star (Michele says "No duh"), so we cannot sell it
to you. This is like adopting the star. This star is associated with that
special someone. It is something you can point at to know that there is
something special out there for you.

Q: Will the scientific community recognize my star name?
A: No. (Michele says "I'm crushed!") We are a private company that provides
Gift Packages. Astronomers will not recognize your name because your name is
published only in our Star catalog. We periodically print a book called Your
Place in the Cosmos © which lists the stars that we have named.

Q: Can I return the product?
A: Yes. If you are not completely satisfied, you may return your product
for a full refund. We want you to appreciate our products and if you are not
happy, then we are not happy.

So! (Michele says), “I’m not happy with this star. First off, it’s way too bright. And hot. And how can I point at (to) it if I don't even know where IN the heaven it is. Plus, it doesn’t even answer to its name! "White dwarf"? "Red giant”? I really think I want to return this "product"!

Then I got it. HELLO??!! The stars already HAVE names! “(The Lord) counts the number of the stars; He gives names to all of them.” Psalm 147:4

And please note that the only thing "registered" in the U.S. Copyright Office is their book of star names. They simply publish a book of star names people have made up that you can buy (and more money for them), and that NO ONE refers to except folks who have paid to "name" a star. Basically they give you the coordinates of some star that exists and charge you for the privilege of calling out a star that already has a name from the Lord and will only be referred to by coordinates by the scientific community.

“Create a pretend need, then make people pay to have it fulfilled.” Is that a motto from hell, or what?

Disclaimer: If you have had a star named after you or someone you love via this method, I am very sorry. I am not trying to find fault or burst your bubble. I have made many ill-advised purchases over the years and have no basis on which to judge anyone’s transactions. Note also that I came very close to giving this as a gift to several people. We’re all learning together!

So I was reminded of this Star Registry thing because of Valentine’s Day. I’m hearing the same ad again, and this time I’m ready with my Bible verse in hand.

Not only has the Lord named the stars... He has named you and me with "a new name that no one knows except the one who receives it." (See Revelation 2:17) I think the Lord gives names to the things He creates. As parents we are given the right to name our children. This is just a type and shadow of the fact that God reserves the right to name His creation.

And by His Word it was created.

No comments: