Friday, December 7, 2007

Ah, Christmas? Again?

A prayer request came in to our little prayer group yesterday (shameless promotional insert: We now have two meeting times, Monday and Thursday at 8:30 a.m. Let me know if you need directions!!). It was for those who have lost a loved one or are newly separated/divorced and struggling with loneliness and depression this time of year. Wow, isn't that a tough one? Do we all know someone like that? Have we been someone like that?

I must confess to being a bit of a scrinch myself (you got it, that's a Scrooge/Grinch), and several of you heard me whine my baloney sandwich story yesterday. Then I heard about some situations that made my baloney sandwich story sound like chestnuts roasting on an open fire!

In our celebration, I think it's not a bad idea to remember to pray for those with little to celebrate right now. Life can be hard anytime, as we all know, but when you have everyone asking if you're ready for Christmas, and Burl Ives blasting you to "have a holly jolly" one it can get even harder.

But I was urged, "Do not let this Christmas season overwhelm you... Focus on Jesus. Take time every day to read the prophecies of His coming, and the wonderful story of His birth. Make this Christmas one of 'excedingly great joy'!" (I quote Billy Graham who quotes Matthew 2:10.)

I'm really gonna try to do that this year, as I pray for my friends S., T., and K. You know who you are. I love you all and you know it!

When they saw the star they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy. Matt 2:10

No comments: