Friday, December 21, 2007

Lion and Mouse

Yesterday was a good day. It was a day that the Lord had made. But for me it started with a major meltdown.

I thought it was about Christmas and all that I needed to get done. My dear friend, Dixie, prayed over me on the phone, and as the day progressed I realized the meltdown was mostly, if not completely, about two other things.

Pastor Dave described prayer as "keeping company with God." I like that. But keeping company with God can, well, change you. He rubs off on you and you find yourself doing some new things, or old things in new ways.

This week I confronted someone head-on about some very wrong doctrines. I don't do that a lot (ever!). But this had gone on and on and was getting worse, with pronouncements on everyone who didn't agree as "apostate," and I heard the Lord say "enough!" The reaction I got started with turning me over to the Lord and having nothing to do with me ever again .... which I was pretty okay with ... to "you just misinterpreted what I was saying, we're really in complete agreement." That I was not okay with. Mission not accomplished!

But the one that bothered me more was this: I had felt compelled to make amends to someone I had sort of abandoned a few months back, and I e-mailed my apology, e-mail being the only way I have of reaching her. I expected to hear back promptly that all was forgiven, but I've heard nothing. I realize she may not have even seen the e-mail yet, but of course, I'm convinced she can't forgive me, which is of course her right and no less than I deserve. And I love and miss her.

Sidenote: JFYI neither of these people goes to our church or is even from around here.

So there's me. The lion and the mouse. God showed me this morning that I have to learn that when I do the right thing, lion-wise OR mouse-wise, I must leave the results with Him. He brought to my mind the story of Elijah, who ran away after he had the great victory against the prophets of Baal (1Kings 18 and 19). Not in my case so much about the victory, but the part about hiding in the cave afterward. And God says, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" You should read it and see how he WHINES!! I think I whine better.

So I'll just be keeping company with God today and leaving that cave, and all my fretting, behind. If you think about me today, please pray for me!

This is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it!

No comments: