Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Peace on Earth, or Confessions of a Mad Housewife

My children, Tess and Aron (now 30 and 27, respectively) will tell you: I'm a hummer. I constantly hear a song in my head, whether I want to or not, and it often manifests as humming. Often as not, I'm not even aware that I'm humming... until someone points it out.

It came in handy when they were small and got separated from me in a store. They just stopped and listened for the humming. As a precocious 5-year-old, my son once observed, "It's not the fact of your humming that's annoying. It's the fact that you don't know you're humming." Out of the mouths of babes.

This morning I awoke with the words in my head "peace on earth, goodwill to men" to the tune of "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." As I lay there I was so thankful for the peace the Lord brings to me, especially in my times of "busy brain," as I ranted about a couple of posts ago (which, by the way, can occur in the daytime, as well... just so unmanageable at night!).

How many thousands of times have I heard in my head, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee" (Isaiah 26:3)?

The alternate title to this post also pertains to the fact that my house was in total chaos, and I confess I still tend to be so affected by my surroundings. Chaos without, chaos within. It wasn't just ordinary chaos, either. It was Christmas chaos. One of the things I dread most about the Holiday Season.

I got home from work last night a little after 10:00 to find that my beloved, who knows me so well, had straightened up the house. I mean STRAIGHTENED it! It was so nice to come home and be able to breathe a calm sigh of relief instead of the hyperventilation of rising panic.

Thank you, husband! Thank you, Lord, for Your peace, constantly available no matter what my earthly surroundings!

No comments: