Sunday, December 9, 2007

Scraps

Our dog Greta is a whore for food. There's just no other way to put it. We've had her on the rapid weight-loss dog food formula for months and she's still going to earn me a lecture on our next trip to the vet. She begs. She sneaks. We literally have found nothing she won't eat. Except for snap peas. Go figure. I'm convinced that she would sell her soul if she had one for a morsel of ____ (imagine the most disgusting thing you can, the things I'm imaging aren't fit to print).

Our dog Audrey is the same way, except that she loves love. She will follow us around, lie at our feet, move her head just to be a centimeter closer to a hand that may at any moment scratch her ears or chin. Food? She can take it or leave it. And she often leaves it. Which is part of why Greta is such a porker.

My friend Joanne recently noted her penchant for turning everyday things into spiritual truths, which is just one reason I love her blog, "At His Feet." (I highly recommend her blog if you're not already onboard with it, and someday I'll post a link to it when I figure out how to do all that fancy stuff). Well, you don't get much more "everyday" or more earthy than dogginess... And there's even a biblical basis for this one (see Matthew 15:21-28).

One thing I'm learning on this prayer journey is that in the moments when I've found that sweet spot, when I truly feel His presence no matter what I'm doing or where I am, I am open to every scrumptious morsel that falls from His table and every touch of His hand as I sit at His glorious feet.

But is it only "scraps" and "morsels" that I receive from His hand? A thousand times NO! There are riches and blessings beyond measure. Living life in His presence is the most transforming thing in all of creation.

I know I'm not telling anyone anything new who has already stepped through that veil and into the light of His presence. I'm just staggered, staggered by the height and depth and breadth of His love for me.

If, as we sing, "one day in His courts is better than thousands elsewhere," then one scrap from His table is better than a thousand banquets at Buckingham Palace. With Queen Elizabeth in all her regalia.

No comments: